Skip to content
Some of the things I have learned:
- The pine that BrushyMountain and Mann Lake use for their hive woodenware it not the same as the clear pine that you buy at Home Depot or Lowes.
- Trying to paint woodwork in an unheated garage in January is probably not a good idea.
- Crylon Spray paint on unprimed wood is like pissing into the wind.
- Open feeding in a small apiary is not a good idea.
- Box jointed boxes are much better than rabbit jointed boxes.
- Having a spare NUC available in the brood chamber size can be real handy and provide more options when problems are encountered.
- Keep the bees off of the ground. They get pissy when you step on them and they like to climb up your pant legs as you walk through them.
- If you take off your veil/jacket to take a break, double check that you have zipped everything back up before going back to the hives. Forgetting a zipper can spoil your plans.
- It is a good idea to remove rings before getting into the hive. It can be difficult to remove them if you (and you probably will) get stung on the fingers.